Thursday, July 12, 2007

The Focus Group That Got It Right

Ask any working writer what he or she thinks about focus groups and it's likely the air around you will turn bright blue in a nanosecond. Focus groups are bane to the creative soul. Focus groups suck the oxygen right out of a project. Focus groups only care about the bottom line which, for publishers, means money.

Well, yesterday I read about a focus group that actually got it right. I was reading Michael Ausiello's column in TV Guide online and he mentioned a Grey's Anatomy focus group that came down hard on the repulsive George & Izzie pairing. Otherwise known as (ugh) Gizzie. Apparently the viewers whose opinions were at the heart of this focus group came down 95% against Gizzie. My only surprise is what the *#(@ is wrong with the other 5%?

Why don't I like Gizzie? How about the fact that there's no chemistry there. Zip. None at all. And what about this big best-friends thing they keep yapping about? I didn't see any evidence of it and I've all but memorized every frame of seasons 1 and 2. Friends, yeah. But to-the-death best friends? Sorry, I don't buy it. Alex showed more love and compassion toward Izzie when Denny (yuk; sorry I couldn't stand him) died than George did. Alex scooped her up into his arms and held her while she cried. George just stood there looking like George.

Okay, so I like George with Callie, even though I think Callie deserves a hell of a lot better than a guy who married her on the grief rebound and cheated on her before the first six months were up. I like Izzie with . . . oh, I don't know. The unemployment line, maybe?

Don't get me started. Once I launch into my "What's Wrong With Grey's Anatomy" rant I'll never stop.

I'll save part two for tomorrow. Consider that a warning.

Grey's fans, please please don't hesitate to comment even if you disagree. Especially if you disagree!

Labels: , ,


Post a Comment

<< Home

Home | Letter From Barbara | Sneak Peek | What's Cooking | Love Letters
Blog | Scrapbook | Free Stuff | Contest
Bio | Book List | The Secret | Just For Fun | Free Reads
Newsletter | Writers Daily Quote | He Said She Said | Sitemap
Hosted by